Please remember that our campus is pedestrian-centric in advance of the fall semester and the return of thousands of students to campus.
All motor vehicle operators must remain alert and keep their speeds below 25 MPH when driving on-campus.
Drivers must always yield to pedestrians and be prepared to stop at all marked crosswalks. Never pass a vehicle that has stopped or is slowing down at a crosswalk.
Although pedestrians must appropriately care for their own safety, those found on university campuses tend to be distracted. Drivers, therefore, must patiently accommodate their passages.
Please remember to allow yourselves additional commuting time during the next few weeks and remember that all types of on-campus traffic will be unusually heavy.
The following are general instructions for navigating the University’s new roundabout on Hillside Road in Storrs:
- Slow down when approaching the roundabout
- Obey all signs and posted speed limits
- Yield to all pedestrians within the crosswalk
- Look left and yield to traffic in the roundabout before entering
- Enter the roundabout only when there is a safe gap in traffic to do so
- Traffic within the roundabout has the right-of-way
- Do not stop in the roundabout to allow other traffic to enter
- Exit the roundabout slowly to Alumni Drive, Hillside Road or the North Garage
- Yield to all pedestrians in the crosswalk
Pedestrians may only enter the roundabout using designated crosswalks; they must never cross traffic lanes to the roundabout’s center island.
Experienced bicyclists may ride within the roundabout and share traffic lanes with motorists; they must yield to all pedestrians.
Less experienced bicyclists may dismount their bicycles, walk on the sidewalks and use the crosswalks as pedestrians.
If you are in the roundabout when an emergency vehicle approaches, proceed to your intended exit and pull-off to the right so the vehicle may pass safely.